Phase 1 of the Academy Boulevard Improvements Project gets underway next week, and there’s an open house to discuss the work tomorrow night at Sand Creek Library.
- The project tackles aging pavement, curbs and gutters, and improves water drainage.
- The reconstruction boundaries are South Academy Boulevard from Bijou Street to Airport Road and from Fountain Boulevard to Jet Wing Road.
- Reconstruction will be done in two segments over 24 months: Phase 1 (North) is South Academy between Bijou Street and Airport Road; Phase 2 (South) is from East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive.
- Traffic will be pushed to the outsides of Academy to support median demolition and construction of detour pavement in Phase 1.
- This is a voter-approved, Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) A-listed project. The estimated cost to repair existing asphalt (18 lane miles), concrete and storm sewers is $59 million.
- You can join the city officials and construction teams to discuss the project, review exhibits and see the construction schedule on Thursday, Feb. 16, 5-7 p.m. at Sand Creek Library, 1821 S. Academy.
- The project website is ColoradoSprings.gov/AcademyBlvdImprovements
- For project updates, send your email address to AcademyBlvdImprovements@gmail.com
- The project hotline is 719-427-6422.